- Brockport Central School District
John Milner presented with James C. Fallon Distinguished Service Award
John (Jack) Milner, a long-time educator and former A.D. Oliver Middle School Principal, was presented with the James C. Fallon Distinguished Service Award during the October 18, 2022 Brockport Board of Education meeting.
Mr. Milner spent time in the Holley, Churchville-Chili and Brockport Central School Districts for 33 years before retiring in 1999. He was hired by Brockport Central Schools in 1986 and served as the principal of Oliver Middle School from 1987 until 1999. Mr. Milner was nominated by John DeBaun, who described Mr. Milner as continuously thinking of creating betterment for children, serving on numerous school district committees to help achieve this.
The James C. Fallon Distinguished Service Award was established and presented to Mr. Fallon in honor of his many years of faithful service to the district. Brockport’s BOE may present this award annually to a district student, employee or community member who demonstrates the following characteristics: confident, expert-level knowledge in a given field; wisdom, leading to effective judgement based in transparency and empathy; a commitment to the principles of servant leadership and individual empowerment; rigorous accountability to themselves and to the community and humbleness.
There were numerous outstanding accomplishments throughout Mr. Milner’s life, including both his time at Brockport Schools and his time as a Brockport community member, which led to his nomination and award.
• Mr. Milner coordinated the Oliver Middle School renovation and continues to provide tours of the school during class reunions.
• He helped co-found Westside Challenger Baseball and Westside Challenger Tennis.
• Mr. Milner served as Sweden Town Supervisor, during which time he formed the Brockport Fire District.
• He is a charter member of the Sweden Community Foundation Board, of which he was president from2005-2018 and has served as vice president since 2018.
• Mr. Milner served as President of the Monroe County Public School Athletic Association from 1992-1996 and was named President again in 2002, which he served until he stepped down in 2021.
• He served as the BOCES Administrative Representative for Middle School Education with the State Education Department from 1995-1999.
Mr. Milner has expert-level knowledge in the field of education. He began his career in 1966 as a Physical Education Teacher and coach in Holley Central School District. He was named Section V Class AA basketball coach of the year in 1976 and received the New York State Athletic Administrators Association Chapter Award in 1996.
Mr. Milner’s name has been added to the James C. Fallon Distinguished Service Award plaque and is displayed in Brockport’s Board of Education Room in the District Office. For more information on the James C. Fallon Distinguished Service Award, please see the district website under the District/Board of Education tabs.